A LESSON PLAN IN 2C2IA READING INSTRUCTION
(COGNITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE,INTEGRATIVE, INTERACTIVE, & AFFECTIVE)
1. Infer the mood of certain events through the speaker’s action, intentions and utterances
2. Use the present perfect tense with for and since
3. Identify the heading and details for an outline
4. Write an outline and summary of the story read
II. Subject Matter:
- Selection: ‘ A Volcano Erupts’
- Strategies: Asking /Answering questions, inferring
- C. Developing English Language Competencies: Using the present perfect tense with for and since
- Developing Vocabulary & Comprehension Skills & Strategies: Identifying the heading and details for an outline
- Reading & Writing Connection: Writing an outline and summary of the story read
- Across the Curriculum – Links: Science, Civics , GMRC
- References: Eng. For All Times Reading VI. pp. 35, 126, 161, 204, Reading Skill book VI, pp.89-91, 85-88, Beam Lesson Guides
- Materials: Flashcards, pocket charts, pictures, activity cards
III. Learning Activities:
- A. Developing the Magic of Reading (DMR)
- 1. Pre-reading:
- a. Motivation:
Do you know some beautiful spots in our country which are also dangerous but known worldwide?
- b. Unlocking of Difficulties:
- 1. Fatal
Volcanic eruptions have been deadly and fatal to both human and animals.
- 2. Progressive
United States of America has been a progressive and developed country for so many decades.
After the volcanic eruption, mud has been flowing in the rivers.
- c. Previewing:
Show to them picture of Mt. Pinatubo. What is this? Have you visited this place?
- d. Setting the Purpose of Reading:
Again, show to them the picture of Mt. Pinatubo Ask: What do you want to learn more about them?
- B. Constructing Meaning:
- a. First Reading of the Story by the teacher
Bacolor is the town in Pampanga. It has been a progressive community since it was founded. It is a community with happy and contented people. But since that fatal day in July 1990, ashes have rained on the roofs of their houses. The small houses have crumbled from the weight of ash and mud. Animals have died. People have run for their lives.
The once happy people who have stayed for two years in the evacuation centres have hoped to go back to their homes. Rich and poor have suffered for almost a year of ashes rain and mudflow. Farmers have waited to till their lands since it was erupted. Schoolchildren have transferred to other school. Mud and ashes have not totally stopped falling.
Since that deadly day, people have prayed that the eruption would soon stop so that they could go back to their homes.
- Second Reading of the Story founded.
Let the class read the selection silently. Ask some questions after reading each paragraph.
- 2. Post – Reading:
- a. Answering the motive question
- b. Engagement Activities:
Divide the class into 4 groups. Each group will be given a task to do.
Group 1 – Mention some events in the story that shows different feelings/emotions. Make use a
drawing of different facial expressions.
Group 2 – Dramatize situations that show different feelings like excitement, contentment, appreciation,
Threat, disappointment, joyous, fear
Group 3 – Draw an incident. Describe it in five sentences mentioning various feelings or moods of all
whom might seen the drawing.
Group 4 – Write down some precautionary measures before and after volcanic eruption.
c .Gradual Psychological Unfolding (GPU)
- What are the different situations in the selection that shows various feelings or mood?
What kind of facial expressions did you use to describe them?
Presentation of Group 1 output.
- What actions and its counterpart moods have you shown to the class?
Presentation of Group 2 output.
- What incident did you draw? What feelings did you have when you saw the picture?
Presentation of Group 3 output.
- What you should do before and after a volcanic eruption? Why do we have to take in consideration those precautionary measures?
Presentation of Group 4 output.
- 3. Across the Curriculum – Links:
Although volcanoes are dangerous, still they are helpful to us. In what ways they can be of help to us?
- Enrichment Activity:
Circle the letter of the word which expresses the tone or mood in these passages.
- “You should be ashamed of yourself, robbing that poor peddler of the happiness of making a sale! Ten centavos more would not have hurt your pocket but it would have bought a small banana for his supper”.
- Delight b. disgust c.approval
- The moon is red and the stars are fled.
And all the sky is a- burning.
- Dreariness b. brilliance c. drabness
- Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must in freedom.
- Relief b. apprehension c. fear
- “What a fine leg for a little table that logs will make!” he said softly to himself.
- Approval b. misgiving d. doubt
- “When I was yet a boy without a father you took me in and gave me food and happiness. In my eyes and by custom, you are now my mother. It is for me to obey you always.
- Vengeance b. affection c. passion
Read and analyze the passage on pp. 134-135, Skillbuilders for Efficient Reading VI. Then circle the letter of the
answers to the questions.
- What is the general mood of the story?
- Extreme joy b. Extreme disappointment c. Extreme regret
- Which word expresses the tone of the selection?
- Painful b. temporary c. enthralled
- Which word does not fit the tone of the selection?
- Enchanting b. Dimensional c. Gratifying
- Which the statement would the speaker probably say the day after he received his present?
- “I am extremely gratified.” C. “It is a pretty gift?” c. “It is a significant gift for older people.”
- By his description of the gift, the boy is saying that the gift
- Was as good as a pair of skates c. opened new wonders in his life c. Was of short-time value
Read and understand the situations on Exercise 3, pp 160-161, EFAT Rdg. VI. You will portray the feelings of the
characters as you read the situations next meeting.
B.Developing English Language Competencies ( DELC)
- 1. Preparatory Activities:
- Spelling of words about feelings or moods.
- b. Review:
What are verbs? What are regular verbs? Irregular verbs?
- 2. Lesson Proper:
- a. Presentation 1:
ü Present the sentences taken from the selection they have read/heard.
- The once happy people who have stayed for two years in the evacuation centres have hoped to go back to their homes.
- Rich and poor have suffered for almost a year of ashes rain and mudflow.
- Farmers have waited to till their lands since the volcano was erupted.
- But since that fatal day in July 1990, ashes have rained on the roofs of their houses.
- It has been a progressive community since it was founded.
- Since that deadly day, people have prayed that the eruption would soon stop so that they could go back to their homes.
ü In sentences 1&2, how are the underlined verbs formed? What is the italicized preposition? What does the action tell us when we used for with it?
ü In sentences 3-6, how are the verbs formed? In what tense are they? What does sincedenote?
ü Write your answer in the chart below:
Present Perfect Tense with For and Since
Helping verb + past participle form of the verb
Preposition How long the action
has been going on
Almost a year
Helping verb + past participle form of the verb
When the action started
The volcano was erupted
It was founded
That deadly day
When do we used the present perfect tense with for and since?
b. Presentation 2:
Divide the class into 3 groups .Provide each group an activity card to work on.
Direction: Share your experiences to the group. Then, write at least 10 sentences about your personal sharing using perfect tense of verb with for and since.
Ex. I have been studying here in Central Main Elementary School since Grade 1.
Direction: Make a dialog about this famous Filipino hero of’ Paaralan sa Kariton’, Efren Penaflorida
using perfect tense of verb with for and since.
The use of for and since with the present perfect tense of the verb expresses an action that started in the past and still continues to the present.
Answer the learning activities A and B. on pp. 162-163, EFAT Language VI.
C. Developing Vocabulary and Comprehension Skills and Strategies
1. Preparatory Activities:
Have you gone to Bicol Albay? What finest place have you visited there? If it gives us an honor, it
also gives us destruction once it erupted.
A Volcano Erupts’
I. Bacolor is the town in Pampanga.
A. It is a progressive community.
B. It is a community of happy and contented people.
1. Ashes have rained on the roofs of their houses.
2. The small houses have crumbled from the weight of ash and mud.
3. Animals have died.
4. People have run for their lives.
II. People have stayed for two years in the evacuation centres.
What are the main headings? What numerals did we use? What kind of headings used Capital
How many details for the subheading C in Roman No. I? What are those?
What are the subheadings in Roman No. II?
How are the first letters of each heading written?
What kind of outline is this?
Outlining is arranging notes so that the important ideas stand out and to make clear which point supports each of the important ideas. There are two kinds of outlines : (1) sentence outline – in which every point is a complete sentence and (2) topic outline – males used of topic discussed. Roman numerals are used to number the main headings , capital letters for subheadings, and Arabic numerals to number detail headings.
Divide the class into 3 groups. Provide each group a task to do. Every group will read and
analyze the selection entitled “Atomic Energy For The Future”,9. pp.48-50, Skill Builders For
Efficient Reading. Then each group will fill up the skeleton outline assigned to them.
Atomic Energy For The Future
Presentation of group 1 output.
What are the subheadings nos. 3 & 4? What are the details for the subheading no. 4?
Presentation of group II output.
What are the subheadings nos. 6,7 & 8?
Read and analyze the selection then complete the outline below:
Importance Of water
Water is essential to human life. People use water for drinking and for cleaning themselves, their food and the things they use.
Water is the lifeblood of the plants. It is present in all of their parts, from roots to the tips of the leaves. Plants wither and die without water.
Every farmers knows that one of the effects of either inadequate or excessive water is poor harvest. Poor yield means poor less profit. Seedlings and crops will die without adequate water. Water is important to the farmers for their farms.
Water is also used for electrical power. To generate electricity, people use waterfalls. Falling water exerts force on the movable blades to turn turbines.
Water is one of the nature’s a gifts. It is free. It is one of the best things in life. All living things need water.
Importance of Water
B. Plants wither and die without water
B. It is one of the best things in life.
Read carefully the article. Then, complete the outline below.
Barangay Mapayapa is one of the barrios in barangay Camalig, Albay. A river runs through and is a good source of fish and shells that the people there eat and sell.
The people in this barangay, however don’t practice proper waste disposal. They throw dead animals and their files of garbage into the river. Some just file their garbage on vacant lots.
Seeing this bad situation, the Barangay Captain suggests ways to keep the river free from pollution. They promise to clean the river. Soon they act on their promise. In a week’s time the river once more becomes a pleasant means of transportation Fish and shells become more plentiful.
B. Source of livelihood
II. What is the practice of the people?
III. The action of the Barangay Captain
IV. The result of the promise
Read and analyze the selection entitled “The Modern Computer”. Pp. 177-179, EFAT Reading VI. Then, write Sentence outline about it.
D. Reading and Writing Connection: Date _____________________
How many paragraphs does it have? What is the main idea in the first paragraph? What are its subheadings and details?
What is the main idea in the second paragraph? What are its subheadings and details?
Can you write its sentence outline? After you have made its outline, make a summary of the selection by writing the events in order as it happen based on the outline given.
Write a simple outline of the selection below. Then write also its summary in the box provided.
The accomplishments of satellites have been many and varied. Man-made satellites serve as aids for scientific investigation, navigation, military surveillance, communication and meteorology ( which includes weather forecasting). They have discovered hurricanes and tracked hem, so that families on that path of such storms are forewarned and necessary steps taken to protect lives and properties. They have measured temperature, water vapour content, and ozone in the earth’s atmosphere. They have made possible “live television” across oceans. They are mapping the earth and moon in new ways and even reaching back in time to observe the fiery birth of the universe.
Summary of the selection